I’ve been recovering from a nasty flu and after a week of couch time, finally have enough in the energy tank, and inclination, to make something for supper. On one of the cooking shows I watched this week, someone made roasted artichokes and tomatoes. It looked quite tasty. As a bonus, when I went through the cupboard a couple times this week in search of soup, I remembered seeing a can or two of artichoke hearts.
I thought I would keep dinner fairly easy to do and wanted a one pan dish. Being sick, I crave comfort foods and that includes potatoes, so if you would like to keep it low carb, you can easily omit them. Roasted chicken and artichokes makes for an easily created meal. As usual, I used a hearty sprinkling of my all purpose rub for seasoning the chicken thighs.
I found the flavours very reminiscent a lemon tajine chicken. Hubby did give the thumbs up, which helped me with my post, since I can only taste stronger flavours at this point (I don’t have that much of a sense of taste or smell yet due to the nasty cold.)
Roasted Chicken and Artichokes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Avocado oil for cooking
- 4 bone-in skin on chicken thighs
- 6-8 small potatoes 2-3" sized
- 15 Sicilian olives
- 1 can artichoke chokes approximately 8 in a can, keep the juice
- 7-8 fresh thyme sprigs
- 6-7 fresh oregano sprigs
- 3 tablespoons minced garlic
- All purpose rub
- Salt and pepper
- Melt the butter in a deep, oven safe, frying pan. Add a drizzle of the avocado oil.
- Sprinkle the thighs on both sides with an all-purpose rub and a sprinkling of salt. Sear on both sides for a couple minutes, until nicely browned.
- Remove from the pan.
- Wash and cut the potatoes into 8's (or approximately 1 1/2" pieces), toss in a very light drizzle of avocado oil, salt and pepper, 2 tablespoons of the minced garlic, and a light sprinkling of rub. Place in the bottom of the pan and pan fry to lightly brown for a few minutes.
- Turn off heat.
- Strip the herbs off their stems and sprinkle half of each on the potatoes.
- Place the chicken on the potatoes, place the artichoke hearts around the chicken.
- Sprinkle on the remaining tablespoon of minced garlic, some salt and pepper, and olives around the chicken.
- Pour the artichoke liquid into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake uncovered at 350°F for 1 hour.
ROASTED CHICKEN AND ARTICHOKES