So eating low-carb has its challenges of course. One of which is trying to come up with yummy ways to eat veggies. Tonight’s dinner was a success in that department. Its not rice, but risotto style cauliflower has a nice texture and is a tasty way to serve this versatile vegetable.
I did have a bowl of leftovers, so will try a fried rice version for tomorrow’s supper.
Risotto Style Cauliflower
- 2 cups stock
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 head cauliflower
- 4 sundried tomatoes chopped small
- 1 can mushrooms or equivalent fresh chopped small
- 1 small onion chopped small
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- S&P to taste
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds chopped
- 2 tablespoons herb and garlic cream cheese
- Cut the cauliflower into florets then pulse a few times in food processor until rice sized.
- Brown the butter in a deep sided frying pan.
- Add the mushrooms and onion and saute on medium heat until translucent. Give a light sprinkling of salt and pepper.
- Add the garlic and saute for about 30 seconds.
- Add the oregano, sundried tomatoes, cumin, and saute for a further 30 seconds, tossing to mix.
- Add the cauliflower, season with salt and pepper, stirring to mix and saute for about a minute.
- Add half the stock and place a lid on for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the lid and when the moisture has disappeared, add another ladle of stock.
- Simmer, stirring frequently, until the liquid is gone, add another ladle of stock.
- Simmer, stirring frequently, until the liquid is gone, then add the almonds, stirring to toss.
- Add the cream cheese, stir to mix. Adjust for S&P if needed.
- Let the cream cheese melt and warm through, then serve.
- Serve immediately while its nice and hot.