You know whats tormenting because we can’t have it (not low carb)? Making us cry at least once a week because of withdrawal? Pizza.
Know what we can have, that is almost as good? Pizza dip! Looks like a deep dish pizza, but instead of bread the bottom is a gooey layer of cream cheese. We devoured half of a dish for supper tonight with some Dixie Counters mini toasts. Its a dish that we can add to our list of “presentable” items. In the sense, we can go out into the carbalicious party world, bring it with us, and not be embarrassed by presenting some bizarre dish.
And as it really does taste like pizza, add what your favourite ingredients are! Ham and pineapple, beef and onion, green peppers, hot peppers, sausage… you get the idea. Just a note to make things small. I bought a bag of the pre-sliced, small pepperoni and cut them into quarters. You don’t want a big piece of something so only 12 bites get a pepperoni and everyone else is left with just cheese.
- 1 package cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup mayo
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 cup shredded parmesan
- 1 210 ml can of tomato sauce**
- 1 cup shredded cheddar
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan
- 1/2 cup of small pepperoni quartered
- 1/2 cup heaping mushrooms (chopped small)
- In a bowl, use a handblender to mix the cream cheese, sour cream, mayo, dried basil, oregano, garlic powder and the 1/4 cup of parmesan.
- Scoop into a pie plate and spread out to form the bottom layer
- Add a thin layer of the tomato sauce (I used most, but not all, of the tin)
- Sprinkle with cheddar.
- Layer on the pepperoni.
- Sprinkle on the mushrooms.
- Add the last 1/2 cup of parmesan
- Sprinkle with dried oregano.
- Bake at 350°F for 25-30 minutes until the cheese is all melty and bubbly.
- Serve warm with crackers, chips, pitas, bread, etc. of choice.