Going to add pie / square crusts to this post so they are all in one spot. 🙂
Elsie is my mother-in-law, who used to love to bake. She was constantly making pies and squares. Needless to say her pie crust recipe makes ALOT of pie crust.
- 1/2 lbs / 1 c butter salted, room temperature
- 1/3 c sugar
- 2 c flour
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 pinch salt
- Mix butter with sugar and salt until well combined.
- Mix in egg yolks.
- Add flour 1 cup at a time. (at this point I just used my fingers to mix or a hand mixer on low)
- Mix until the dough forms a small crumb-like texture
- Pour into 9" pie plate, or container of choice, and press dough against sides and bottom and form the shell
- Put into freezer for about 15-20 minutes
- Bake at 350F for 20-25 minutes until it just starts to turn brown
- Set aside to cool
Graham Cracker Crust
- 1 1/2 c graham crackers
- 1/4 c sugar
- 1/3 c butter + 1 tbsp or so
- Melt butter, mix with crackers and sugar
- Press into 9" pie shell (forms a thin crust)
- Bake for 10 min at 350F
For a deep dish crust use 2 1/2 cups graham crumbs, 1/2 cup sugar, and 10 tablespoons butter.
Low Carb Almond Flour Crust
- 1 1/2 c almond meal or almond flour
- 3 tablespoons melted butter
- 1/8 c Stevia or whatever favourite sugar substitute would equal 1/4 c sugar
- 1/2 tsp fresh ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp vanilla extract or almond or whatever flavouring you'd like
- In a bowl, mix ingredients until it forms a granular texture.
- Pour into a springform pan that has been sprayed with baking PAM and press down to form the crust
- Bake at 350F for 8-10 minutes until it begins to brown.
- Set aside to cool
Low Carb Toasted Coconut Almond Crust
- 1 1/4 cups almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2-1 tsp dark cocoa powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 teaspoon Stevia
- 1/3 cup melted butter
- 1 egg slightly beaten
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla
- Mix the almond flour, coconut flour, cinnamon, cocoa powder, Stevia, and salt in a medium sized bowl. You want them mixed fairly well so that there aren't clumps when you add the liquid.
- Add the vanilla, egg, and melted butter and stir with a spoon to mix until all the dry ingredients are wet.
- Press into a pie plate, patting down. Prick the bottom of the shell a few times with a fork.
- Bake at 350F for 8-12 minutes until it just begins to brown.