The other night I made a pretty decent green curry. And I love chicken wings. I mean I love chicken wings more than I love green curry. Which is alot.
And since I have half a bag of the green curry paste left to use up, I thought I would try and combine the two. I started with a marinade and then made a reduction to toss the wings in after.
I have to admit, these were killer. So much flavour, salty (may be a bit too salty for some, but just cut down on the fish sauce), crispy and great with the dip. The only thing wrong? Not enough heat. Which was kind of odd, seeing as how I used the same paste in the chicken curry and that packed quite a punch. I think next time, because, oh yes, there will be a next time, I will add some chili pepper or hot sauce to give it some oomph.
Green Curry Wings
- 2 tbsp butter
- 2/3 can coconut milk
- 3 tsp minced garlic
- 1 heaping tsp minced ginger
- 1 1/2 tsp shrimp paste
- 1/4 c fish sauce
- 2 tbsp green curry paste
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- lime juice
- Melt butter in small saucepan
- Add the ginger, garlic, cumin, and curry paste and let saute for 30 seconds
- Add shrimp paste and let simmer for about 30 seconds
- Add fish sauce and bring to a simmer
- Add coconut milk and let simmer until thick and reduced
- Cook wings: bbq or broil on medium high, putting wings on a rack on a baking sheet on the rack set on the second highest level (3-4" from top) for 15-20 minutes, flip over, cook until crispy (approx 40 minutes total). Then remove from oven, toss in some of the sauce.
- Give a squeeze of lime juice over wings and serve.
Cucumber Mint Dip
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 cucumber grated and squeezed out
- 1/2 c sour cream
- 1/2 c mayo
- 1 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 5-6 mint leaves
- 1 tsp cumin
- squirt of lime juice
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- salt to taste
- Mix all ingredients together and put in fridge to set