This is actually a transfer from my GoodGrub Livejournal page. I thought I had transferred over awhile ago, but looks like it was missed. It came to mind when I posted about the almond crackers as I’m planning on making a meat pie with a cheese almond cracker crust for supper tonight, inspired by a French meat pie.
French meat pie is hearty and savory, making more than enough for a family meal. Unfortunately it is not low carb, but if you aren’t keeping an eye on carbs, its worth making! Looking back on old posts, this pie was inspired from Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives back in 2010!
French Meat Pie
- 1/2 small bag of baby potatoes
- 8 pieces of bacon
- 1 red onion chopped small
- 2 lbs ground beef
- 1/2 can of haggis*
- add 1 tbs of minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cloves
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sage
- S&P to taste
- Boil the potatoes until tender, mash (skins on) with cream and butter, S&P to taste. Set aside.
- Render the bacon down, remove from pan, crumble when it has cooled, and set aside.
- Add the onion and saute until softened and transparent.
- Add the meat and cook until browned.
- In a bowl, mix all meat, potatoes, bacon, and spices thoroughly, place into deep dish pie shell, egg wash the edges, place another deep dish pie shell on top. Fork both pie shells together, cut slits on top, brush with egg wash.
- Cook at 350°F for 50 min to 1 hour until crust is nice and brown.