Tonights supper was just a simple one pan dish of smoked brats grilled on the bbq and sliced, tossed with some bacon, cabbage, spinach, and seasonings. And cornbread! Okay it wasn’t the real thing, but for low carb, it was pretty darn good. I found the almond flour is very similar to cornmeal in texture. It came out just slightly crumbly, not too dry, with a bizarrely cornbread taste. Maybe not quite as “corn” infused, but close enough for my tummy!
Also, I added the browned butter at the very end as it was truthfully almost forgotten and I think it turned out wonderfully.
Low Carb Cornbread
- 2 cups almond flour
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons stevia
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs beat the whites
- 1/2 cup cream
- 1/4 cup browned butter
- 1 minced pickled jalapeno
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Mix the almond flour, coconut flour, Stevia, baking powder, and salt in a large bowl. Set aside.
- Mix the cream and egg yolks in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Beat the egg whites until fluffy.
- Add wet ingredients into the dry and stir until just mixed. Fold in the egg whites and mix.
- Fold in cheese and jalapeno.
- Drizzle the browned butter over the batter and mix.
- PAM spray an 8x8 pan well, put batter into pan, tapping into corners and flattening. (The batter is not liquid'y and will be almost crumbly. Almost like wet breadcrumbs.)
- Bake at 325°F for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the edges just begin to brown.