So we went for lunch with a couple friends last week and ordered an appetizer of deep fried cauliflower, tossed in a chili sauce. Unfortunately, they were breaded, which means carbs.
So tonights experiment was to make a low carb version. I used Dixie Carb Counters Breading mix, which worked fine, but will try a version next time with fine parmesan or possibly almond flour for those who don’t have access to Dixie Carb Counters. With all the Indian influence, its rather like pakoras, which isn’t a bad thing at all. Next I’d like to work on a low carb sweet chili sauce as a dip.
Deep Fried Cauliflower
- 1/2 head of cauliflower cut into large bite sized florets
- Vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 3 tablespoons of cream
- 1/2 teaspoon curry
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1/4 cup Dixie Carb Counters Breading mix
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan or reggiano cheese
- 1 1//2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon tandoori
- 1/2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- S&P to taste
- Heat enough vegetable oil in a large saucepan to fill it about 1 1/2 inches deep.
- In batches, thoroughly dip the cauliflower in the egg wash, then toss in the dredge, then fry for about 4-5 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove from the oil with a slotted spoon or sieve scooper and place on paper towel to drain.
- Immediately after removing, give a light dusting with salt.