I found a new Mediterranean grocer, which not only provided me with an awesome new brand of Turkish coffee, olives, and feta, but a bunch of spices. This included a couple new ones for me: zaatar and sabzi ash. I picked them up because of the way they smelled and the spices listed in the ingredients. Zaatar contains herbs like thyme, oregano, marjoram, mixed with toasted sesame seeds. After a quick search, I found a recipe for zaatar chicken with grilled lemon.
It makes for a very Mediterranean marinade, and I think I’ll not only be making this again, but using zataar in a few dishes. I think it will taste great with lamb!
I served this with grilled asparagus and some tzatziki and I completely cleaned my plate. Possibly twice.
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 tablespoons zaatar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 4 chicken thighs skin on, bone in
- Lemon thick slices
- Mix all ingredients in a ziploc bag, add the chicken, massaging in.
- Let marinade all day.
- Remove from the bag, and grill on medium low heat, until cooked through.
- Grill the lemon slices for a minute or so on each side.
- After pulling the chicken off the grill, squeeze the lemon over the chicken.