I made these for my mom for Christmas after we had been talking about cakes one day. She mentioned how she always loved the Waldorf red velvet cake. But hadn’t had it for years.
So I dug up the recipe (I think its the original?) and made cupcakes for her. She loved them and my one nephew went a little bonkers for the icing I think. I have to say its a very nice icing.
- 1/4 c flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 c milk
- 2 c 4 sticks unsalted butter, softened
- 2 c granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- In a large saucepan, whisk together flour and 1/2 cup of milk until smooth. Set over medium heat and and whisk in remaining milk and salt. Whisk constantly until mixture is thick and paste-like - AND SMOOTH. Remove from heat and let cool completely.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, combine butter and sugar. Beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and mix well.
- Beat cooled flour mixture into the butter mixture on high speed. Beat for several minutes (6-10) until sugar granules have dissolved and the mixture is super silky and fluffy. You can check this by rubbing a little between your thumb and forefinger.