When it hits the summer highs and becomes like a broiler outside, the last thing I want to do is boot up an oven or eat anything heavy. I want something that is fresh, crispy, and quick. My general slaw preference is for a creamy coleslaw, but tonight I wanted something a bit more bright and decided to go with a vinegar based coleslaw instead. It paired nicely with the sausages that were thrown on the BBQ.
This was exactly what I was looking for, and the flavours of dill and fennel went wonderfully with the caraway seeds and tang of the horseradish!
Note that I was keeping this low carb and using what I had in the fridge. Feel free to add purple cabbage or shredded carrots if desired.
Vinegar Based Coleslaw
- 1/2 small green cabbage
- 1/2 fennel keep fronds for the dressing
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 1/3 cup grapeseed oil
- 1/2 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon dried mint
- 1 teaspoon Mrs. Dash
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon fresh dill chopped fine
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh fennel fronds chopped fine (or whatever half of the bulb has)
- 1 teaspoon extra hot horseradish
- 1/2 teaspoon Splenda
- Salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- Grate the fennel and cabbage on a somewhat fine slice.
- Crush the caraway seeds and chili flakes slightly in a mortar and pestle.
- Combine with the other ingredients in a small food processor and drizzle over the slaw mix, tossing to mix.
- Garnish with some more fresh dill if desired.