Hubby had another long day yesterday, playing with the bagpipe band at the Legion. Not just one set, but 4 times throughout the day! So I thought I would make a nice hearty, warm meal for him. But I also didn’t want to leave the house and strived to use what I had in the house.
Hubby loves rice to begin with and being kicked up just a notch, and served with something saucey (a Jamaican chicken stew recipe I’d like to perfect yet), got me a thumbs up. I served it the next day with some gumbo poured over top. (Just put the rice on a plate, break it up with a fork, cover with a damp paper towel and pop into the microwave.) To get the really red rice, you want to use kidney beans. Unfortunately, I didn’t have any in the house. Still tasted great, just lacked the color. I’ll update the picture next time I make it with kidney beans.
Red Beans and Rice
- 1 can red kidney beans including liquid
- 1 can coconut milk
- Chicken stock approx 1-2/3 cups
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 teaspoon Dried thyme
- 2 teaspoons Salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 cups basmati rinsed and drained
- Drain the liquid from the can of beans into a measuring cup and add the can of coconut milk and enough stock to make four cups of liquid
- Add liquid, beans, garlic, chopped onion, thyme and S&P to large pot.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add rice and boil on high for 2 minutes.
- Turn heat to Low, and cook covered until all water is absorbed (about 15 to 20 min).
- Fluff with fork before serving.
Original recipe recommended long grain rice, basmati was all I had. Turned out just fine. It only took about 15 minutes.