A friend of ours recently went home to Portugal and she kindly brought me back a bag of authentic piripiri seasoning. Of course when you go and look for an “authentic” recipe, you get 50 versions on the first page. So I found the below on Genius Kitchen and gave it a try. Unfortunately, I didn’t have time to marinade the chicken in it, but I think it would be an amazing way to use it. And I’d really love to do a whole butterflied chicken!
I love piri piri chicken, it’s so spicy, yet so tasty you have to keep eating it. This recipe fills those shoes, having lots of flavour with just a few ingredients, definitely has that kick and it doesn’t linger, and the lemon seems to tame the heat a bit.
Almost all the recipes called for grilling it, but since we’ve been on an air frying kick, I did 4 chicken thighs in the air fryer. They turned out nicely, but as I plan on doing a whole chicken next time, I’ll do it up properly on the bbq next time.
- 4 tablespoons lemon juice
- 5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1⁄4 cup vinegar
- 1 tablespoon piripiri powder
- 1 tablespoon garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes
- Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan and bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and let cool a bit.
- Use as a marinade and / or baste the whole chicken with it (for thighs, I dunked the whole piece in)