I bought a couple bags of coffee flour awhile ago and finally decided to make something with it. I decided on pancakes with coffee flour, due to the fruity and nutty flavor of the flour. Coffee flour does not taste like coffee. It’s made from the pulpy casing of the coffee bean, which is dried and ground to a powder. As I mentioned it tastes vaguely like a mix of fruity and nutty. Which goes flavors go really well with pancakes.
Just a side note, the flour does contain caffeine and is gluten free, so you don’t want to go using a cup of it at a time. It’s also loaded with fiber, so is a tasty way of adding fiber to an otherwise potentially boring dish.
- 2/3 cup all purpose flour + 3 tablespoons
- 2 tablespoons coffee flour
- 200 ml milk room temperature
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 egg separated
- Whip the egg whites until soft peaks form.
- Combine all other ingredients, whisking until mixed then fold in half the egg white until blended.
- Fold in the remaining egg white until well blended.
- Use a 1/4 cup measuring cup to scoop out even portions of dough on medium hot griddle.