I saw this idea on Chow.com and thought I’d give it a try. Being a lover of anything potatoes, this includes potato salad. But trying hard to stay low carb means no delicious salad.
And this was good. Made with all the traditional ingredients of a potato salad, except with kohlrabi, it was dead on for texture and very close in taste. I think next time I’ll add a bit of bacon though. Or alot. Because, well, bacon.
EDIT: when I tried the salad, it was when the kohlrabi was still warm and it tasted great. as it cooled in the fridge, the kohlrabi became very watery. So it started off with a great potato salad taste then was almost washed away. I’ve read that baking kohlrabi solves that problem a bit, so will keep trying revisions as this recipe has huge potential. And even the Hubby admitted that it tasted way better than he was expecting.
Mock Potato Salad
- 2 very large kohlrabi
- 2 hard boiled eggs quartered and sliced
- 2 green onions chopped
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon horseradish
- 1 tablespoon white balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- S&P to taste
- Peel the kohlrabi, cut the fibrous ends off, then cut into cubes (as you would for a potato salad).
- Place into a large pot, cover with boiling water, bring to a boil and boil until fork tender (15+ minutes depending on how much kohlrabi you have).
- Rinse in cold water, add the egg, onion, spices, and mayo and toss to mix.
- Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate until chilled.