We picked up some low carb wraps, which means finding something super yummy to fill them with. I had a roast in the freezer, so decided on some Mexican shredded beef stuffed wraps. Looking at various recipes they didn’t seem to have the punch of flavour I wanted. I decided to Frankenstein something, putting all the spices, seasonings, and peppers I loved, into it.
I then took about half the sauce, sliced the beef into slabs, and combined them in a crockpot. The other half of the sauce went into the freezer for next time (maybe chicken!).
It came out really well, the meat was super tender and shredded at the lightest touch and then just did a bit of post-cooking touches on the sauce and combined both into a savoury, caliente, bowl full of delish. As usual, for the rub sprinkle on the meat, I used my Coffee Chili Rub recipe.
Mexican Shredded Beef Pepper Sauce
- 1 small onion
- 2 anaheim
- 2 jalapeno
- 1 poblano
- 1 red pepper
- 1 orange pepper
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 9 dried ancho peppers
- 6 dried guajillo peppers
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 1 small head of garlic
- 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano regular
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- Juice of 3 limes
- 2 teaspoons salt or salt to taste
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- Place the charring vegetables on a hot grill, rotating about every 4 minutes, until all sides are blistered.
- Put them in a large bowl and cover with saran wrap.
- Set aside to cool a bit.
- Break off the stems and pour out the seeds of the toasting peppers.
- Toast off the dried chilies and cumin seeds in a hot pan, for about 30 seconds, turning over once.
- Remove from the heat and place in a bowl, pouring the 4 cups of boiling water over and set aside to steep. Letting steep for about half an hour.
- Scrape the charred skin off and de-seed the charred vegetables.
- Add all ingredients to a large blender (steeping liquid, peppers, charred vegetables, stock, seasonings.)
- Whiz until a sauce is formed. Don't forget to be careful as there are hot vegetables and hot liquid involved!
Mexican Shredded Beef
- Mexican Shredded Beef sauce
- Coffee spice rub
- 1 beef chuck roast
- Slice the roast into 2 inch thick cuts, sprinkling liberally on both sides with the rub.
- Place in the crockpot and ad enough sauce to cover.
- Set on low and cook for 8 hours.
- Once cooked, remove from the sauce and place in a large bowl.
- Pour the sauce into a saucepot. At this point I salted to taste, added a touch of paprika, garlic powder, and about half a tablespoon of Splenda, until it was the taste I wanted, and let simmer down until thick.
- Which the sauce is simmering, I shredded the beef with two forks.
- Pour the sauce over the shredded meat and mix until it is all coated.