These are my contribution to the bacon craze. Its a salty and sweet combination with the slight bacon flavoured buttercream and the bacon bits adding texture to the batter. The Guinness adds a rich deep flavour, offsetting the sweetness of chocolate and maple. All come together to create a very “manly” cupcake… which is totally lost on my hubby since he’s not a fan of sweet and salt mixing.
But, I sure didn’t mind them!
MAPLE BACON BUTTERCREAM ICING
- 2 STICKS 1 c and 1/8 c unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/8 c soft bacon fat
- 2 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 2 tsp maple extract
- 2 tbsp whipping cream
- In a stand mixer with the whisk attachment, beat butter at medium-high speed until smooth, about 20 seconds.
- Add icing sugar in thirds; beat at medium-low speed until mixed. Scraping down as required.
- Add extract and heavy cream, and beat at medium speed until incorporated, about 10 seconds.
- Then increase the speed to medium-high and beat until light and fluffy, about 4 minutes, scraping down bowl once or twice.