So it was just Thanksgiving this past weekend in Canada. I think turkey dinner is one of my favourite meals. Not only eating it, but making it. I have the turkey down pat and after getting the method of spatchcocking down, also takes half the time to cook. This year my family out on the coast is postponing a Thanksgiving get together for a couple weeks and that meant no dinner to eat or make. On top of being unemployed, it actually depressed me a tad. Until we went for a walk yesterday and the Hubby mentioned that we could have our own little Thanksgiving and we picked up a turkey for cheap and a few ingredients so I could make a low carb dinner.
I’m finally getting to the point of this post, which is low carb cranberry sauce. Hubby loves cranberry sauce with his turkey (I’m of the “Drown All Items on Plate in Gravy” order) and since gravy and cranberry sauce do not cohabitate on my plate, I wanted to make him a low carb version of his favourite Thanksgiving condiment. Now, note that its not super duper low carb, as cranberries themselves have carbs, but at least I can control how much sugar goes into it.
- 1 bag of fresh cranberries
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Stevia (powdered)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 cup water
- 1 small piece of cinnamon
- Simmer all ingredients in a medium saucepan until the cranberries have burst and broken down. Stirring frequently, mash the berries.
- It will thicken as it breaks down.
- If you prefer to use real sugar, use approximately a cup.