This soup was one of three options for using up jalapenos, chicken, and bacon in my fridge. I went with soup as it gave me a bit more to work with, which meant more soups for my lunches.
I originally wanted to put cream cheese in, but it seemed to be the only cheese I didn’t have in my fridge. So I used cream (light half n’ half) instead and a bit extra cheese and it came out as a creamy tasty soup. I might try cream cheese next time just to see what flavour is added, but would make again with the cream no problem.
Jalapeno Cheddar Chicken Soup
- 2 jalapenos
- 1 small onion
- 4 strips of bacon cut into small pieces
- Thickening agent of choice **
- 6 chicken breasts sprinkled with garlic powder, onion powder, cumin, and paprika, then cut into 1" cubes
- 1 heaping tablepoon minced garlic
- 4 cups stock i used a blend of chicken and vegetable stock
- 1 cup cream
- 1/2 teaspoon yellow curry
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- Few dashes of worcestershire sauce
- S&P to taste
- 1/2 c aged red leicester cheddar
- 1 cup tex mex shredded
- 1/2 cup grana padano parmesan
- Place the bacon pieces in a large soup pot and render down until the bacon is slightly crisp.
- Whiz the onion and jalapenos in a small food processor and add to the bacon fat.
- Saute until the onion is soft.
- ** At this point if you would like to add flour to make a roux, do so. As I used a low carb thickener, I add it at the end of cooking.
- Remove the onion, jalapeno, and bacon mix and set aside. Add the minced garlic to the pile.
- Add the chicken to the pot in the. Saute until browned and they have somewhat cooked through.
- Add the jalapeno, onion, bacon mix back in.
- Add the stock, cream, worcestershire sauce, and spices and bring to a simmer.
- Add the cheese, letting simmer for about 15 minutes.
- At this point I added my low carb thickener.
- Bring to a boil