This sauce was actually kind of an accident. I needed a tomato sauce and didn’t have enough crushed tomatoes on hand. But. I did have the previous nights’ vegetable tart. Which was just a low carb version of my Rustic Grilled Vegetable Tart. But when I made the tomato sauce from the leftovers, they were amazing! I think I’ll make it next time a hearty tomato sauce is needed. So it’ll be my third tomato sauce, all which have a different flavour base. The one I use for my lasagna is very fresh and light tasting. The puttensco has the olives, capers, and anchovies in it, which add a salty zip. And now this veggie one, which is packed with flavour.
Grilled Vegetable Tomato Sauce
- 1 medium zucchini
- 1 medium zucchini squash
- 1 medium eggplant
- 1 medium onion
- 2 roma tomatoes
- Fresh oregano
- Fresh basil
- Feta cheese
- Minced garlic
- Olive oil
- S&P to taste
- Grated asiagio
- 1 jumbo can of crushed tomatoes
- Cut the zucchini, squash, and eggplant into half lengthwise.
- Cut the onion into half.
- Brush with olive oil, sprinkle with seasoning salt of choice and rub.
- Place oiled side down on oiled, medium hot bbq.
- The squash will take about 20-30 minutes to cook, the eggplant and zucchini around 15 minutes, the onion 15-20. Turn them over when about half done cooking and remove as they just become done.
- Cut the tomatoes and grilled vegetables into even slices.
- In a pie plate, put a thin layer of crushed tomatoes, then sprinkle with feta.
- Place the sliced veggies in circular rows on top of the feta, alternating pieces of vegetables.
- Sprinkle with chopped fresh oregano and basil, S&P to taste and add a couple tbsp of minced garlic.
- Sprinkle liberally with grated asagio.
- Place in oven and bake at 350F for 1/2 hour or so.
- Slide the whole combination into a big pot, add crushed tomatoes to make a soupy mess. Bring out the hand blender and whiz into submission.
- Use on pizza, pasta, baked chicken, whatever strikes your fancy!