I love duck and when I saw a young duck for a fantastic price at the store, I picked it up. Then when I went and picked up two types of balsamic vinegars, I knew I wanted to make something that incorporated the duck and vinegars. The duck turned out fantastic and I had to stop myself from eating the glaze with a spoon.
I served it with a crisp salad tossed in a homemade vinaigrette, made with the oregano white balsamic vinegar.
Juniper Balsamic Glaze
- 1/2 onion chopped small
- Neck of the duck
- 1 solo garlic minced small
- 1/2 c chicken stock or duck stock if you have it!
- 1 tsp of juniper berries lightly crushed
- 1/8 c juniper berry balsamic vinegar
- 1/8 c oregano white balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- Small bunch of fresh oregano rough chopped just to release oils
- Small bunch of fresh thyme rough chopped just to release oils
- Fry the neck of the duck in the juices left over from searing.
- Add onion and saute until soft
- Add garlic and saute for a few seconds until all softened
- Transfer everything to a saucepan
- Add the stock and balsamic vinegar
- Add the herbs and whisk to mix
- Let simmer on low until about half reduced,
- Add salt and pepper to taste, then put through strainer
- Put back into the pot, add honey, and let reduce until a thick glaze
Oregano Balsamic Vinaigrette
- 1/4 c oregano white balsamic or flavour of choice
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- small bunch of fresh oregano
- 1/2 tsp mustard
- Approx 3/4 c oil i used half grapeseed oil and half olive oil
- Mix all ingredients except the oil in a small food processor.
- Slowly drizzle in the oil until its the desired consistency.