So we have a friend who is lactose intolerant. And for Christmas I wanted to make him something special that he could eat that wouldn’t cost him $10 at a specialty store. I did find a cookie recipe (Soft Ginger Molasses Cookies), but we weren’t able to hook up for Christmas and um… well all the cookies were… thoroughly sampled. So this past weekend we finally set a date to get together and I still wanted to bring a treat. So I made dairy free bread, absolutely and completely lactose free, to go with the homemade plum jam and a vegan, dairy-free butter.
I got the verdict – a thumbs up on the recipe, and thought I would share it.
Lactose Free Bread
- 1 cup luke warm water
- 2 tablespoons white sugar
- 1 1/4 ounce package / 1 tbsp quick rise / bread machine yeast
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups bread flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Place warm water, sugar, and yeast into bread machine
- Let sit for 10 minutes
- Add the oil, flour and salt.
- Select Dough setting on machine
- When cycle has finished, remove dough, form into desired shape, place in PAM sprayed loaf pan
- Cover with clean cloth and leave in a warm spot for 20 minutes
- Bake at 350F for 25-30 minutes until golden and brown