I pulled some pork belly slices out of the freezer for supper, not really knowing what I wanted to do with them. I was tentatively thinking of frying them up and tossing them in a Thai inspired sauce. Wasn’t 100% sure though. I wanted something fairly quick and of course crispy. After yet another quick and successful Google search I found one for crispy pork belly slices, that were simple and easy to whip up.
I took the advice of one of the sites and cooked it in the oven, versus frying it. It came out nice and crispy and just needed a sprinkle of salt when it was done. It’s basically a crispy Asian bacon.
Feel free to add more or less hot sauce as desired. I used a tablespoon and didn’t taste any heat, and may add a bit more next time.
Crispy Pork Belly Strips
- 1/2 kg pork belly slices
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon hot pepper paste
- 1/2 tablespoon Splenda
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted white sesame seeds
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a ziploc bag and add the pork belly strips.
- Massage into the meat strips.
- Let marinate for about 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Place a rack on a tinfoil lined cookie sheet.
- Place the strips on the rack and bake for 30 minutes.
- Flip over and bake another 15-30 minutes.Watch it after 15 minutes as it will turn crispy quickly.
- Remove from the rack and place on paper towel.
- Sprinkle with salt and serve.