We first fell in love with Thai-style coconut rice pudding when we were at a restaurant in Edmonton, who served coconut rice pudding in chilled bowls with slices of mango. I love the more creamier style vs. a dry pudding.
This dessert tastes better the next day when the flavors have had a chance to meld and it’s really chilled.
- 1 1/2 pre-made coconut rice gently packed
- 1 400ml can coconut milk
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla paste / extract
- Bring all ingredients, except the vanilla, to a gentle simmer in a saucepot. Stirring frequently or almost continually, let simmer until it begins to really thicken. Approximately 30 - 40 minutes depending.
- Add the vanilla paste and stir to combine.
- Pour into a large bowl, cover with saran wrap so that the wrap trouches the pudding, and set in the fridge to chill. Preferably overnight.
- When serving, add slices of ripe mango for that sweet tropical touch.