Clafoutis is basically a frittata or omelette, a big fluffy frittata packed with all sorts of goodies. As with omelette’s, anything goes. Fill with all veggies or seafood, your favourite brie or some jalapeno’s.
Clafoutis makes a great breakfast or a branch served with some salad. It can be tailored to any taste and makes a large portion, big enough to serve 8 people.
- 4 slices thick cut bacon sliced into 1" pieces
- 1 1/2 cups smoked ham cubed small
- 1 small onion chopped small
- 1 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup mushrooms chopped small
- 6 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 2/3 cup almond flour
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons butter melted
- 1/2 round of garlic herb Boursin
- 1 cup Romano or white cheddar cheese grated
- 2 tablespoons chives chopped small
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- Salt and pepper for seasoning
- PAM spray a deep dish pie plate and preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Render the bacon down in a frying pan, removing with slotted spoon and putting into the pie plate.
- Place the onion, mushrooms, caraway seeds, and oregano into the pan, season with salt and pepper, sauteing until the onions are soft.
- Remove with a slotted spoon and place into the pie plate.
- In a bowl, beat the eggs until they are frothy, add the melted butter, almond flour, half the thyme and chives.
- Pour over the mix in the pie plate.
- Break the Boursin into small pieces and nestle into the egg mixture.
- Sprinkle with about a cup of grated cheese and the other half of the chives and thyme.
- Bake for 30 to 35 minutes.
- Let sit for a few minutes, before cutting and serving.