I saw a recipe for chimichurri on Donna Hay’s site. Actually the recipe was for charred rump, but it was all about the sauce for me. I love sauces, gravy, and dips. A sauce that is full of fresh herbs is right up my alley. I found it tasted even better the next day with some leftover steak.
I liked the recipe that was on Donnay Hay’s page, but I think I may try it with lemon or lime juice next time to give it a citrus kick. I also added oregano as not only is it my favourite of the herbs, but I had just a bit left to use from the herb garden pot on the deck.
I also omitted the honey. Looking at other recipes it wasn’t a common ingredient and I wanted to keep it low carb. For the “containers” of herbs, I used the 28gm herb packs that you can find in the fresh veggies section of the supermarket.
- 1 container Italian parsley
- 1/2 container fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons fresh oregano
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- 4 anchovy fillets
- 1 tablespoon oil from the anchovies
- 1 serrano pepper deseeded
- 1/2 cup white wine vinegar lemon juice
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- Combine all ingredients, except the olive oil, in a small food processor.
- Drizzle in the olive oil until all the ingredients are well blended.
- Refrigerate until needed (next day is best).