So the weekend was spent volunteering for the Scotland pavilion at the local Fusion Festival. The Hubby’s bagpipe band (Cedar Hills Caledonia Bagpipe Band) not only participated in the parade and did a brief stint on stage, but helped manage the booth, answering questions while wearing their full kilt kits (wool kilt and socks and dress shoes included), standing in the heat. I helped as well, a bit in the booth, took pictures, got the video camera going, etc. Needless to say, neither of us were up to much for even going out for suppers and I was in no condition to stand some more and cook. So from being a bit worn down, plus the heat, plus the press of humans sharing their germs, it looks like Hubby came down with a cold.
So although its at least 30°C out there and the house has to be hotter, I made him soup. As there was no way on this green earth, that I was going to boot up an oven or cook a big meal, I cheated a bit by using a pre-cooked chicken from the grocery store and as such, it maybe took me 15 minutes to make the soup! Insert thumbs up emotie here! 😀
Chicken Egg Drop Soup
- 2 cups of chicken chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon garlic paste
- 2 cups mushrooms roughly chopped
- 5 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 eggs lightly beaten*
- Salt to taste
- White pepper to taste
- 4 green onions cut up
- Thickener of choice**
- In a large soup pot, melt the butter.
- Once melted add the garlic and stir to mix.
- Add the mushrooms and saute on medium until they have shrunk.
- Add the chicken and sprinkle with a bit of salt and white pepper.
- Toss to mix everything.
- Add the stock, soy sauce, and sesame oil and bring to a boil.
- Salt and white pepper to taste.
- Very slowly drizzle in the egg while stirring the soup. This will form long strings.
- Add half the green onions and stir to mix.
- Garnish the bowls with the rest of the green onion.
** Use a few tablespoons of cornstarch mixed with water or for a low carb option Dixie Counters Thick It Up