I was originally going to make a pot of green chicken curry, but as usual, by the end of the day my mind had changed and I wanted a bowl of hearty and warm (and warm spicy) soup. So changed the intended use of the marinating chicken from a green curry to a pot of yellow curry soup.
I started off by placing the chicken (cut up boneless skinless chicken thighs) in a marinade of a hearty dollop of sour cream, a splash of fish sauce, garlic, and about a tablespoon of the curry powder from my coconut curry chicken.
Chicken Curry Soup
- 6 marinated chicken thighs cubed
- Olive oil for cooking
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1 onion chopped small
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 to mato chopped
- 1 dried thai red chili
- 1 can coconut milk
- 1 cup chicken stock
- 1-2 tablespoons of homemade curry powder see link below
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Hearty pinch or two of fenugreek
- Juice of half a lime
A spice mix of
- 1/2 teaspoon ground corriander
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cardamon
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon yellow curry
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon tumeric
- Heat the oil in a large soup pot and add the cumin seeds. Let cook, stirring occasionally, until the seeds begin to make popping sounds.
- Add the onion and saute until soft.
- Add the garlic and ginger and saute for a minute more.
- Add the chicken (dump the whole bag in, marinade and all) and the tomato, and cook until the chicken turns white.
- Add the spice mix, dried chili, S&P, stock, coconut milk, and 1 tablespoon of the homemade curry mix.
- Bring to a simmer and let simmer for about an hour with the lid on, stirring occasionally, adding more S&P and curry mix to taste.
- Add a pinch or two of the fenugreek and juice of the lime and stir to mix. Let simmer for another 15 minutes or so, then serve.