This recipe for baked beans is one of the Hubby’s favourites. And its perfect for when you need a large pot for a potluck as it makes a very big batch. The key to the recipe is the smoked pork hock! It adds that perfect bit of smoked meaty goodness and isn’t something you can leave out.
And luckily, I don’t have to go far to get a good GIANT smoked pork hock. The last one I picked up was for a pork hock and sauerkraut dish and it weighed 3lbs! After shredding the meat off, I probably got about 1 1/2 lbs of meat from it.
- 2 c white beans soaked overnight
- 1 small onion chopped small
- 1 tbsp worcestershire sauce
- 1 c molasses
- 1 smoked pork hock
- 3 tbs mustard powder
- 2 tbs garlic powder
- 3 1/2 to 4 cups water / stock / dark beer or combo of
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/4 c good bbq sauce ketchup, or quality tomato paste
- 6-8 strips of bacon cooked till crisp and crumbled
- S&P to taste
- Cut the bacon into small pieces and brown in the bottom of a large dutch oven.
- Add the chopped onion and soften
- Add beer (or liquid of choice), sugar, molasses, bbq sauce, and spices, whisk to mix
- Add beans and give a stir to mix
- Put in smoked pork hock and shove to bottom of pot
- Put lid on pot and put in preheated oven
- Bake at 250F for 8-10 hours (or put on low in a crockpot, but I prefer the dutch oven)
- Once you take out of oven, a few pokes with a fork to the pork hock and all the meat should just fall off. Just take out the skin and bone, give the beans a mix to distribute the pieces of meat.